Season comes to an end with 2-0 loss in NCAA Second Round

Sean Augustine (photo courtesy of Trinity Athletics)
Sean Augustine (photo courtesy of Trinity Athletics)

SAN ANTONIO – The Chapman University men's soccer team had its season come to an end with a 2-0 loss to No. 3 Trinity in the second round of the NCAA Division III men's soccer championship. The Panthers (15-6-2) advanced through the first round for the first time in 18 years but saw their tournament run come to a close.

A back and forth battle ended in a scoreless first half before Trinity scored twice in the second half to advance to next week's regional semifinal. The teams combined for 12 shots over the first 25 minutes but both goalkeepers were equal to the task, stopping every shot on goal.

Trinity shot nine times in an opening half that that saw 16 shots between the two teams. Junior goalkeeper Sean Augustine was forced to make six saves in the opening half to keep the match scoreless. He made three more in the second half. Trinity keeper Todd Whittaker made three saves in the first half and sixth in the match to record the shutout.

Just three minutes into the second half, Daniel Ruano broke the scoring silence with a free kick into the upper 90 for a 1-0 Trinity lead. Austin Michaelis slipped behind the defense in the 78th minute and finished a through ball in the 78th minute to double the lead to the eventual final score.

Freshman Jarod Matteoni nearly put the Panthers up just before halftime but his header was saved by Whittaker. Freshman Justo Garcia put two shots on goal and senior Sam Rudich led the Panthers with four shots.

Chapman's season comes to an end with the loss but put a historic stamp on the season by advancing past the first round of the Division III championship for just the third time.


by Steven Olveda
Sports Information Director

Become a fan of Chapman Athletics on Facebook
Follow Chapman Athletics on Twitter @ChapmanSports
Post your #PantherPic to Instagram @ChapmanSports